Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Apple Juice for the Soul"

Apple Juice has become not only mine, but everyone's staple beverage here at Harlaxton. I never really drank a lot of it before coming here, but now I have it at least two or three times a day. And that's not counting refills. And trust me, there are always refills. The small mug-like glasses just do not hold enough. But it quenches your thirst.

From only being in England for a little over a week, I think that my thirst for traveling, experiencing, and living has grown stronger. I don't think I could've asked for a better experience than this. Although, it feels like I've been at Harlaxton for so much longer.

I love riding the shuttle to Grantham, where there is a shopping area full of places to get, well, anything you could ever want, really. The only problem is finding the cheapest that's available. I've not quite grown accustomed to driving on the wrong, I mean, "other," side of the road yet, or remembering which way to look down the road before you cross it. But, it will be like old hat to me soon, I'm sure. And it seems like the people drive so fast down the road. But yet, I've never seen anyone ever getting a ticket. Do police issue tickets here? I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining things.

A few nights ago, several of us took a night walk at about nine or ten-o'clock. We walked down the long Harlaxton driveway and strolled around in the little Harlaxton village. There were a few cars out, though not many, and the lights in many houses were dark. There were a lot of snails out on the footpath, which was really weird and slightly disgusting. I think all of us stepped on at least one. Some of us, more than one. Not on purpose though!! They were literally, EVERYWHERE. There was just no way around it.

Then we came to a red telephone booth. Yes, they do have telephone booths in England, which look exactly like the one that leads down to the Ministry of Magic. We were able to successfully crowd the six of us into the booth. Which is probably a record. But there were spiders, and I think I probably had my hand resting on dirt or something. Which is gross.

Everything here is so quaint, picturesque, yet grand and majestic at the same time.

And here's a nice word to the wise: If one ever orders pizza in England, make sure to say yes to having tomato on the pizza or you will get a pizza delivered with no sauce. Unless you want cheese bread.

2 comments:

slafferty said...

Kelly, I guess apple juice will have to do since there is no grape gatorade. I am glad you found something good to drink. By the way have you tried any tea and "crumpets" (I am not sure if that is spelled correctly?) Have a jolly good time in London this weekend!!!
Love you,
Mom

Geologist MD said...

Whoa! I started drinking apple juice too! weird.