Sunday, August 31, 2008

I feel like I'm either living in a parallel universe, in a video game, or I'm at summer camp. It has yet to dawn on me that me, a never been out of the country-never been on a plane-never lived in a castle-never been to a city nearly as big as London-girl is actually doing all these things. Ahhhhhh, I'm living my dream right now. It's amazing.

So much has happened over the past few days. But I can't believe I've only been here for just a few days, because it feels like I'm an old pro at things. Except for finding my way around Harlaxton, because I have no direction sense whatsoever. Which is too bad when I have to wander my way through secret passageways and confusing hallways and stairways to find how to get out of the place. But speaking of the place, Harlaxton is absolutely amazing. Actually, amazing is really not enough. It's spectacular, majestic, HUGE, beautiful, and I could go on and on. I don't think words can even do it justice. It's so old, and I love old buildings. Like, really, really, LOVE OLD BUILDINGS. The rooms inside of it are straight out of a movie. The paintings, woodwork, just everything is so great.

Getting back to being a pro, I do think that those of us who went early to London are professionals at getting around. Whether this means figuring out bus schedules, reading maps, just walking around, or most importantly, getting around on the Underground, we are awesome! The Underground is like a subway kind of thing. It's so great. The British people, culture, everything is wonderful. There are many side stories I could tell right now, including how our shower in the Heathrow Lodge was missing half it's door. Or maybe talk about going on the London Eye (the big ferris wheel-like thing) at night for free. Maybe about the times when some of us had spent probably a total of almost 10 hours at the Heathrow airport over a period of a few days. Or trying to lug all the luggage around without falling. The time when we thought we got on the right bus, but apparently got on the wrong one, and had to hang on for dear life as the driver speeded us back to the Lodge. Maybe about the man who shuttled us from Heathrow Airport to Heathrow Lodge and back. Or being on an airplane for the first time. Maybe seeing Michael Buble' (but not really) at the airport. Practically falling on people while being crowded onto the Underground. The steep steep escalators. How signs say 'Give Way' instead of 'Yield'. How it says 'Mind the Gap' instead of 'Watch your step'. The awesome accents. The awesome atmosphere. The awesome clubs in Grantham. Being able to communicate with one another withOUT using cellphones. Which is very hard I might add. Going to Fleet Street. Having a dance party for 2 straight hours on the back of the bus to Harlaxton while everyone was asleep. Being some of the first to arrive to leave to Harlaxton, but spending even more hours at the airport by being some of the last. The totally different currency. And time zone. Jet lag and powering through it. Platform 9 3/4. Buckingham Palace. Awesome people, awesome experiences, and it hasn't even been a week.
Whoa.

2 comments:

slafferty said...

Hi Kelly, Wow! What a lot of experiences you've already had!! Sounds fascinating! Your pictures are great!! You can't use cell phones at Harlaxton?

Love you,
Mom

Colleen said...

Man it sounds even more amazing reading it all written out like that. I can't believe that we've done so much and it hasn't even been a week!