Friday, November 21, 2008

When I got my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, I couldn't believe it. I was at the Arc d'Triomphe, in Paris, and happened to glance over to see the top of the Tower peeking above some buildings a distance away. And as we walked to it, my happiness was intense. I think when I stood in front of the Eiffel Tower, it was the moment when I realized for the first time, what I was doing. I think it had finally sunk in that I was traveling to these places and seeing these things. It was unbelievable. Astonishing. Stunning. Beautiful. I would try to put a French word in there to describe it, but I don't really know French.

Which was okay. The only French words I knew going into France were "Bonjour" and I could count to three, and I could say goodbye (but I can't spell it at all which is why I'm not attempting) and I could say "Merci", which means "thank you". My French vocabulary was limited. But it was okay. I learned a few phrases from a handy guide we received before the trip and everything worked out fine. You would think that by not knowing the language it would be extremely difficult, it not impossible to communicate with people. But that is not the case at all. We were always able to communicate with people somehow, which is a really great thing.

Paris was so amazing. My legs and feet hurt really bad. REALLLLLLLLLLLLY bad from walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and walking and climbing and climbing and climbing and climbing and climbing more winding and twisting and winding and twisting and winding and twisting and narrow and winding and twisting and narrow stairs. But it's all good now. We got the most amazing views ever from trekking up all those 1,234,585 stairs. And that's an exact number. No, it's not, but it sure felt like that. And seriously, there were a ton of stairs. But it was so worth it and I would do it again. We saw the most beautiful tower in the world, got to sing a song from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" ontop Notre Dame, saw the prettiest stained glass EVER, went on the most fun boat ride in the world, got to see what Paris looked like lighted up at night, went to Red Light District, saw Moulin Rouge, did some wine and cheese tasting, ate some crepes, ate another crepe, ate some other kind of French dessert that I can't think of the name of but was really good, ate some wonderful French food, went to Versailles, got to see some of the worst artwork in the world at Versailles. Terrible terrible artwork that took away the majestic-ness of Versailles. But I will look past that. I will look past that terrible lobster, and vacuum cleaners, and pool toys, and blue moon thing, and michael jackson with bubbles...oi vey. That was the artwork cluttering the beauty of Versailles rooms. But time to focus on the positive.

Paris was one of the most beautiful cities I've been to. The lights are amazing. The people are amazing. And it was another wonderfully amazing trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like from the pictures it was amazing. Was the wine good?